Monday, December 27, 2010

Celebrating the Birth of Christ in a Muslim Land

There wasn't any snow, reindeer, Christmas trees, or family.  And there definitely wasn't any mistletoe (although due to recently enacted legislation that might change!)  These are all the things that I associate with the Christmas season.  Indeed, if it weren't for the Christmas hymns we have sung at church over the past few weeks I may have missed it altogether.  This December didn't feel like Christmas!

Especially during my mission; I knew it was the Christmas season!  The Swiss cities of Basel and Bern (where I spent each Christmas) had something special about them.  In the center of each city stood a large decorated Christmas tree. When members and missionaries sang beautiful German Christmas carols passersby were more receptive to our message.  The spirit of Christ filled secular European cities and everyone knew that Christmas was around the corner.

Christmas in Afghanistan has been much different than my prior Christmases oversees (as should be expected).  While conducting convoys throughout the countryside I noticed no decorations, Christmas carols, or trees.  Even within the confines of US military bases in Afghanistan there was only a scarce reminder of the holiday season. 

To say there were no decorations would be dishonest.  The dinning facilities, chapels, and even my own office displayed some decorations. 

Still, it didn't feel like Christmas. 

Our company held a Christmas party on December 24th.  It was a fun occasion to eat and socialize with our fellow Soldiers.  Each platoon was responsible for preparing a skit, a picture slide show of its Soldiers, and organizing a secret Santa present exchange.  The entire event went off without a hitch (except for our skit).

The 25th was reserved for personal time.  Other than attending a Soldiers reenlistment (I guess it was her present to the Army) and eating dinner together with all of the officers in the company--I had the rest of the day off.  I spent my time skyping my family and watching episodes of Lost (I know it isn't the typical Christmas TV show, but I'm hooked and didn't have any Christmas movies with me). 

By far the most meaningful portion of Christmas occurred on the 26th.  Instead of having our church Christmas program before Christmas, it was after the holiday so that more Soldiers could attend.  Despite the logistical challenges of planning a Christmas program in a war zone--our branch organized one--with an abbreviated format.  Instead of having numerous choir rehearsals, everything was done on the spot.  Members from the congregation were invited to leave their seats and join the choir.  The chorister had a piece of paper taped to his music stand that listed the order the songs would be sung in and which verses would be sung in unison or in parts.  In between the singing by the choir, scriptures were read, and a piano solo was played. 

For the first time--singing with the choir--I knew it was Christmas!  Everyone missed their family and loved ones.  Everyone would rather have been somewhere other than Afghanistan.  Everyone probably had a hard time feeling like it was Christmas.  However, looking into the stalwart faces of my fellow Saints I was comforted and uplifted.  Singing hymns of Christ's birth bore testimony to me that he really did come to this earth!  He lived and died for all of us.  His atonement is so all-encompassing that it includes American Service Members celebrating His birth as well as Afghan men, women, and children who don't even know of Him.  Spending Christmas with my fellow Saints helped remind me of the true meaning of Christmas.  Christmas isn't about the lights, the tree, or the presents.  It's about God's Son and His gift to each one of us!

2 comments:

  1. Natalie here - I have a weird Google name, Bear of Very Little Brain. This post is stirring, thank you! I felt like I was reading an Ensign article - send it to them, it would be published. It's a point of view the world sorely needs. I loved "being there" in your Sacrament meeting on the 26th while I read and getting the feelings you must have gotten. This post is one of the highlights of my own Christmas which for me was not typical as we're moving and so never set up decorations. In the neighborhood yeah, there were lights, and in the stores - sheesh - overkill - but when we came home it was as though it wasn't happening. This made me feel Christmasy as more than many things around me did last month. Thanks again, much luck to you, and God's blessings. I ask about you from time to time from your mom and she lights up when she tells me what you're doing. You're loved!

    Until the next post . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post. It sounds like I wasn't the only one who had a little bit different of a Christmas. . . We'll have to see if it ever appears in something like the Ensign.

    ReplyDelete