Friday, December 3, 2010

A Typical Day at the Office!

Sitting in a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle (MRAP), wearing body armor, a combat helmet, and eye protection I receive the go-ahead from the battalion for the mission to begin. I immediately get on the radio and inform all convoy elements that it's time to move out. As our vehicle rolls toward the gate, everyone in my vehicle shakes hands with each other (it's our tradition before embarking on any mission). Soon a voice comes on the radio asking for Diamondback 6 (me) to start us off with the good word for the day. I begin my prayer asking for protection while we travel down our route. I ask that the gunners and drivers will remain alert, and that we will not have any maintenance issues en route to our destination. As I conclude the prayer, I hear a chorus of Amens as each vehicle acknowledges receiving the transmission.

This is a combat logistical convoy; and for me, this is a typical day at the office!

As the platoon leader for a convoy security platoon, I serve primarily as the convoy commander whenever our platoon is tasked with pushing supplies on convoys to different bases throughout eastern Afghanistan. My responsibilities include ensuring that all Soldiers and equipment get from point A to B and back to A. I am involved in the operation from the moment we receive the mission, throughout the duration of the mission, and until we arrive back to our home base and the vehicles are refueled and washed clean.

For the past month I've been privileged to work with some of the finest Soldiers and Noncommissioned Officers (NCOs) in the Army. Together we have provided equipment and supplies throughout this remote and war torn country. I cannot claim any credit for the excellent work our Soldiers perform. I can plan the best mission possible; however, if it weren't for their ability to execute flawlessly, we wouldn't have the success we've experienced.

Sometimes while conducting convoy operations I catch a glimpse of what I'm actually doing. I remember the times I played 'Army' back home when I was younger with John and Becky. Or perhaps, I recall the hours and hours spent in ROTC and BOLC training perfecting the operations order and conducting vehicle maintenance. Mostly, however, I'm so engrossed in the task at hand that I fail to grasp what I'm actually doing. I have been charged with the responsibility of leading America's sons and daughters in combat operations in a theater of war. Of all the professional responsibilities one might posses in life; surely this must be one of the greatest.

While I have only been a platoon leader for a month, and have another six months of deployment; I am profoundly grateful for the opportunities I've been given and the Soldiers I have a responsibility to protect and provide for. Surely this is an awesome responsibility and privilege!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad your childhood playacting has had an impact on your adult activities. :-) You definitely were groomed to be a leader! Love you to pieces!! Glad to learn that even the United States Army allows Christian prayers to be said while on duty. (I am pretty sure they allow muslim prayers as well, nicht wahr?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://marriottschool.byu.edu/army/career/transportation

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they call what you just did plagarism, but I like it! Gotta love ya bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all that you do Jim! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember that time you were the PL when we attacked the MOUT village at Camp Williams? With my horrible excuse for a plan? And then you got shot in the back of the head (by your own guys)!?

    It's probably a good thing we got that out of your system. ;) Stay safe, and Jill and I will keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete