Friday, December 17, 2010

Saints at War

Member of the Bagram Afghanistan Military Branch pose for a picture outside the Enduring Faith Chapel.  This picture was taken before I arrived to Afghanistan.

Kyrgyzstan, Canada, Germany, Afghanistan, United States, Sweden, Panama, and Switzerland.  All of these countries have at least two things in common: I've been to each of these places and attended church there!

By far, the greatest support I've received during this deployment and throughout my life comes from my faith in Jesus Christ.  The gospel remains a consistent influence on my life despite the numerous variables clamoring for attention.  I love going to new locations and attending church with different people.  While the cultures and personalities from congregations in Utah, Alaska, Switzerland, or Afghanistan widely differ, the fundamental principles of the gospel remain the same (plus a few idiosyncrasies). 

Shortly after finding out about my deployment last May, I contacted a previous church leader who had served in the district presidency during his deployment to Afghanistan.  He immediately put me into contact with the district president who sent information on the church. Since then, I have done all I can to enjoy as many blessings of the gospel as possible.

On June 27th, 2008 LDS Chaplain Ken Smith read a letter in a Service Member's group meeting from Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander announcing the creation of the Kabul Afghanistan Military District.  A few weeks later, the newly called district president, Gene Wikle met with General Authorities in Salt Lake City to receive instructions on organizing the newly created district and to get set-apart for his calling.  In conjunction with the creation of the military district, four branches were immediately created (there are now five).  The creation of a military district in Afghanistan made more blessings of the gospel available to LDS Service Members stationed here. 

During my first week in Afghanistan I was able to find out the time and location for LDS Church services on my base.  That first Sunday evening as I walked into the chapel I immediately felt at home.  The room filled with familiar prelude music, green hymnals laid on the seats, and Arnold Friberg pictures of Moroni and Nephi lined the wall.  I definitely came to an LDS meeting!

The Bagram Military Branch has over 170 members including almost 20 Relief Society Sisters.  It is the largest concentration of LDS members in Afghanistan.  To help accommodate the members, the branch holds two separate meetings.  The first begins at 10 am and consists of a 45 minute Sacrament meeting (usually just one speaker) followed by a 45 minute Sunday School or Priesthood/Relief Society lesson (Sunday School and Priesthood/Relief Society are held on alternating weeks).  The evening church service begins at 8 pm and consists of a 45 minute sacrament meeting (usually hosting the same speaker as the earlier meeting).  During the week the branch holds Family Home Evening on Mondays, a Church History Institute class on Wednesdays, and a fireside on Thursdays.  Despite the varied work schedule and occupational hazards members face, the branch still conducts home and visiting teaching and fills callings similar to a large ward back in the states. 

During the two years the Kabul Afghanistan Military District has operated, the membership has doubled from 400 members in 35 locations to over 850 members in 80 locations (although President Obama's troop surge has more to do with this than anything else!)  For me, one of the most meaningful aspects of attending church is the opportunity to associate with others who share my values.  This strength prepares me for both the physical and spiritual hazards associated with being a Saint at war!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim, I just found out that you had a blog. This was really interesting to read about and to hear about how the church is in Afghanistan. You really have gotten to see in the church in so many different places! I hope things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's Natalie H., your mom's friend in the ward - she let me know you're writing and I pop in here every so often to enjoy your posts. I really do enjoy them - you're a good writer and thinker. Wow, this post is great with info about the church. I wouldn't have thought it would be so organized yet the Lord is mindful of every spot in his vineyard. Blessings to you as you serve. Keep us posted. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete